At eight years old, Gabriel Frias found out that he had the talent of creating art. He immediately started to figure out ways to make a career out of it. During his freshman year of high school he was introduced to new techniques of art. “I already knew how to draw but I found out that what I was missing was experience.” The teachers took notice in his ability to draw and helped him enter art contests, were he would always place in the top three.

At this point, Gabriel was about fifteen years old and he remembers his parents working at the flea market. “There I saw a guy who was airbrushing and I told my dad that I wanted to do the same. He told me to go find out where we could get the airbrush. I went and asked the guy and back then nobody wanted to share any kind of information about airbrushing so he never told me.” The guy used to get a lot of clients at his booth and Gabriel dreamed of the day he could have his own airbrushing booth at the flea market next to his parents.

“In September of 1992, my dad had found one but it was a plastic airbrush with an air tank.” He would finally find out where to buy an airbrush gun at his high school. “The guy from school used to airbrush in his garage and he recommended for me to go to an art store. I came back home and told my dad about it and we went to go buy one. At the time I didn’t know the business and I ended up buying a one-action airbrush witch didn’t give me control over the paint. We didn’t have money to buy another one so I started painting with it.” Gabriel practiced his airbrushing on a big roll of white paper.

“Back then, white T-shirts with single-color outlines were very popular such as the Virgin Mary and the Smile Now Cry Later. I bought eight of them for two dollars each and I filled them in with color using my airbrush. We put them in plastic bags and my parents took them to sell at the flea market for ten dollars and they sold fast.” His dad called him and gave him the news, his dad then bought twenty and brought them back and Gabriel airbrushed them all so they could sell them the next day. “It became our little business and I used to airbrush them by the dozens.” Their sales started dropping once customers requested more custom work. His next task was to figure out how he would be able to airbrush at the flea market. “There was no electricity there so I didn’t know how I was going to do it. I ended up meeting a guy named Manny who sold airbrushing supplies and he told me about using a CO2 tank to airbrush.” He loaned his CO2 tank to Gabriel until he had money to buy his own. “I started airbrushing at the swap meet on January 9, 1993. I made over $1,000 the first weekend and I ended up doing that for fourteen years.”

After eighteen years, he knew that it was time to learn something new. “At that time my friend Gerald Mendez started working for a company called ODM doing design work on the computer for their clothing lines. I really look up to Gerald and I wanted to learn how to do that as well.” He started doing digital airbrushing in 2000 and started attending Cal State Long Beach.

He decided to get into the t-shirt business. “There wasn’t much competition at that time for t-shirts. His company was called Deep Blue Graphix and his clothing line was at stores all over the states. “My family helped me out and it became a family business. Work has slowed down but we are still doing it now for twelve years.

You can see more of Gabriel’s work at, IG@DeepBlueGraphix, or you can contact him at or at his cell phone at (323) 479-8228.