Remember when an LS swap with a serpentine kit and a bit of chrome was doing it big? Well, now that these motor swaps have become more common, the only real way to separate yourself from the flock is by addressing your attention to detail.
That said, Holley has come up with a line of LS products that are sure to please. From headers, EFI kits, to serpentine kits and intakes, they’ve got an entire arsenal of products to choose from, so we ran through their catalog and pulled our top picks.
Now we won’t lie, we’d take pretty much everything they have to offer, but as always, if budget is a concern, you have to pick and choose what you start with first so here’s our top choices.
1 Holley LS Hi-Ram EFI Manifold
Probably one of the more expensive of their offerings is this killer Hi-Ram EFI manifold. The look of the plenum top is outright menacing and if it were up to us, we’d treat it with some heavy engraving, followed by a good chrome- or gold-plating. Now, if engraving is a bit excessive for your taste, we’d opt for polishing the intake and then hitting it with some candy paint and a little gold leaf just to give it that edge.
So what’s the intake all about? Well the Holley GM LS7 Modular Hi-Ram intake manifold is introduced as a cost-effective alternative to fabricated sheetmetal for high-performance applications where induction system height is not limited. Coupling this Hi-Ram intake with the high-flowing LS7-style cylinder heads has outstanding potential for N/A and forced-induction applications at a budget-minded cost. We’ve seen them used for drag race, marine, and off-road, but we’ve yet to see a lowrider rock one with that classic yet bold approach.
- The base is designed to be modular in configuration to accept a wide range of carbureted and EFI tops and to be attractive to builders and fabricators as the foundation for custom induction systems.
- Runner length and the tapered cross section designed to perform well for a wide range of engine configurations.
- EFI fuel rails are machined for -8AN O-ring fittings with passages large enough to accommodate high fuel flows and dampen pressure pulsations in the fuel system and come standard with EFI Hi-Ram kits.
- Cast aluminum construction.
- Intended for use on N/A or forced induction engines in the 6.0- to 7.0-liter range, max power at 7,000 to 8,000-plus rpm.
2 Holley Aluminum LS Valve Covers – Natural Cast
When we saw these aluminum valve covers in natural cast we lost it. No seriously, we lost it and we’re glad that Holley introduced this offering simply because they’re available in both raw and polished finishes, thus making customizing that much easier.
Again, we’d treat these valve covers to a full engraving job or custom candy paint to match the exterior scheme of a lowrider. If you want to go out of the box, we’d suggest trying to anodize these covers to give your engine bay a little bit more wow factor.
The best part about getting Holley’s cast-aluminum valve covers for the GM LS is that there is no need to relocate the coils. There’s no question the factory “coil on cover” design gives the LS that signature high-tech look, but the factory brackets and coil location leave room for improvement. Clean up that signature look with Holley’s LS valve covers. They incorporate a radiused shape, angled coil mounting, and a billet fill cap. Plus, the coils mount directly to the cover with no need for a bracket in between. They fit most popular LS series engines and if you’re more of a basic type of guy then you can always choose their black krinkle, satin, or polished valve covers.
3 Universal Drive-By-Wire Wet NOS Kit – 8 cylinder
OK. There’s absolutely no need to install a NOS kit on your lowrider, but then again, there’s really no need for an LS engine swap either. The reason we build our cars is because we can, and we’re suckers for an NOS kit.
Now keep in mind, a quick shot of NOS is sure to put on a good show, but to have the bottle displayed in your trunk or between your backseats is straight bonkers. Of course, lowriding is all about showmanship and accessorizing so we’d opt to get the bottle stripped and custom painted in a cool candy paint, or heck, why not gold plate it?
Now if you really want to take it to the next level, we’d enjoy the kit for a few months and then convert the supplied “wet” system to a direct port system complete with custom hard lines. If you don’t know what we’re talking about then stay tuned because we’ll be doing an article on that shortly. Lowriders are suckers for chrome or polished hard lines, so to add to that a direct port system would have your competition baffled and silently nodding their heads to you.
The best part about this NOS kit is that it was designed to work on sequential firing, multipoint fuel-injection systems. The NOS Universal Drive-By-Wire kits allows for trouble-free easy nitrous activation. And, since it’s an NOS kit, you know that it has been thoroughly dyno-tested on numerous vehicles.
4 LS Complete Accessory Drive Kit
Includes SD7 A/C compressor, alternator, P/S pump, tensioner, belt, and pulleys
- 70R156 – Belt, 6V Serpentine
- Universal brackets fit virtually all common LS engines regardless of water pump and harmonic balancer offsets reducing cost and complexity compared to competitive products.
- The most cost-effective LS bracket solution on the market.
- Simple, dedicated installation kits allow easy fitment to Corvette, F-Body drive offsets.
- Accessories, tensioner, and pulleys are manufactured by OEM suppliers many of which are on production vehicles today.
- 20-132 – LS A/C DRV Bracket Kit
- 97-152 – Pulley, P/S Pump
- 97-151 – Tensioner Assembly w/Grooved Pulley
- 97-150 – Idler Pulley, Smooth, 2.75-inch
- 197-400 – Harness Pigtail, Alternator, AD Style
- 199-102 – AC SD7 Sanden Compressor, R-134a
- 198-100 – P/S Pump, Corvette Aluminum
- 197-301 – Alternator 130-amp, large case
Includes the following items
- Ideal for crate engines, take-out motors, and engine builders.
- OEM spec flanged head hardware included to match your factory LS engine hardware.
- OEM quality natural finish die castings for clean looks and durability. Can be polished, coated, painted or plated.
Note: This bracket requires an installation kit for assembly (Part 21-1, 21-2, OR 21-3)