With the success of our past Ford articles, we knew we had to come back with another great article for you guys. In light of this, we took on a complete engine build that was candy painted, chromed, and built in a Lowrider style. The kicker? This engine was completed in a couple of days! When we started planning this tech, we knew all the Ford guys would be happy, as we were ready to show the latest gadgets and tricks for the small-block Ford engines.

We started off by visiting our friends at CFR Performance of Ontario, CA., who have been a leader in the Ford aftermarket industry. Harry and Don made sure we were on top of the game as they recommended and provided us with all the necessary parts we needed to build our Ford 351 Windsor motor. They gave us insight on the components that we needed to make this engine an “all show all go” monster. Some of the tricks that we feature here on our 351W build include a 5.0 mustang reverse water pump, GM single wire alternator, plugged water outlets and a new style CFR Performance distributor for spark.

If you guys have any suggestions on tech articles that you would like to see in Lowrider: Drop, us an e-mail at saul.vargas@sorc.com. Now follow along, as the pros at Victor’s Garage and performance build up our first Ford 351 Windsor engine build.

1. This ’82 Lincoln was ready to be converted into a Lowrider, but not before examining the engine to make sure the car ran properly.

2. With the engine out, we took advantage and tore it down before we dressed it and put it back in our Lowrider.

3. The car’s engine was running well, but we did notice that the timing chain needed to be replaced so we wouldn’t jeopardize blowing the motor.

4. Using a small pry bar, the sprocket and timing chain were removed from the engine.

5. The timing chain had some similarities to the Chevrolet and GM engines as the timing chains have pointers that when lined up, should have you at TDC. In our case, this engine was ready for the distributor to drop in.

6. With the basics on the engine taken care of, the engine was masked and shot in high heat primer to keep our candy paint finish from blistering up.

7. The transmission was also prepped and cleaned up for paint.

8. Both the engine and transmission received a candy finish.

9. Once the paint cured, the engine was ready to be assembled.

10. As some of you know, ARP fasteners have been the choice for Lowriders, and today was no exception. We used a bolt kit for the 351W.

11. The timing chain went on first, this allowed the oil pan to go on with no difficulties.

12. We used a Professional Products stainless steel harmonic balancer.

13. The harmonic balancer was bolted on using an impact wrench.

14. The deep performance pan allowed us to add more oil to the engine for better internal cooling.

15. The intake was ready to be installed and sealed using the SCE gaskets.

16. Using the manufacturers torque specs; we bolted down the Professional Products chrome plated intake.

17. The billet valve covers were attached, sealing up the rocker arms and push rods.

18. To keep us on track, we used the CFR Performance Ford 302 serpentine kit.

19. The harmonic balancer pulley was the first to be assembled.

20. Since we needed to mock up, we performed a test fit, as we used a mid 80s 5.0 water pump.

21. The spacers for the power steering kept the brackets lined up perfect.

22. The Allen wrench bolts were tightened down.

23. We used the stock power steering pump, as it had just been refurbished.

24. This kit was originally designed for a Ford alternator, but since we wanted to use a single wire alternator, we opted to use a Chevrolet 100 amp alternator.

25. The serpentine went on as expected and was ready for the next step; the tear down.

26. Once we knew that everything was lining up, we tore down and detailed the components.

27. 5.0 Mustang headers were used along with Taylor spark plug wires for looks and performance.

28. Since the engine was going to have a shaved firewall, the heater outlet hoses were tapped and plugged.

29. This Endurashine Edelbrock carburetor is going to receive a hard-line and will also be modified to allow hard-lines to be added in the future.

30. The water pump was tapped and plugged to eliminate unwanted water outlets.

31. The power steering bracket was bolted back on, as the water pump was sealed while we tightened down the brackets.

32. The freshly painted water pump went on smoothly.

33. The water pump pulley was tightened down. As you can see, the pulley has no grooves. A quick tip: If it is a smooth pulley, the majority of the times it is a reverse flow pump, just like we are using today.

34. The bowtie says it all, we used a single wire alternator to help eliminate the external regulators and unwanted wiring that came with the stock setup.

35. The only fabrication that we did was to make a bracket that held the alternator in place.

36. To keep our chrome from scratching, we used masking tape.

37. We didn’t bolt down the pulley on the power steering until we were positive that it was not going to be removed.

38. This engine was ready to be dropped into our Lincoln project.